Major General Obed Boamah Akwa appointed Chief of Army Staff
President John Mahama has appointed Major General Obed Boamah Akwa as the new Chief of Army Staff of the Ghana Armed Forces and approved the promotion of four senior officers.
Major General Akwa’s appointment, which was in consultation with the Council of State, takes immediate effect, a statement issued by the Flagstaff House on July 1 stated.
Until his appointment, he was the Commandant of the Kofi Annan International Peacekeeping Training Centre in Accra.
Those promoted on the recommendation of the Ghana Armed Forces Council are:
1) Brigadier General W. A. Ayamdo promoted to the rank of Major General
2) Brigadier General S. K. Adeti promoted to the rank of Major General
3) Commodore S. Amoama promoted to the rank of Rear Admiral
4) Air Commodore G. S. Evans promoted to the rank of Air Vice Marshal
The statement also said President Mahama has endorsed the following appointments in the Ghana Armed Forces:
1) Major General W. A. Ayamdo- Commandant of the Military Academy and Training School
2) Air Vice-Marshal G. S. Evans- Commandant of the Kofi Annan International Peacekeeping Training Centre
3) Rear Admiral S. Amoama- Commandant of the Ghana Armed Forces Command and Staff College
The following have also been appointed General Officers Commanding:
1) Brigadier General S. B. Alloh- Northern Command
2) Brigadier General C. B. Alhassan- Central Command
3) Brigadier General F. Ofori- Commander, Special Services Bridage
An unspecified number of other officers have also been promoted to the next rank by President Mahama, the statement said.