The Akuapem Traditional Council and the Akuapem North Municipal Security Council have defused heightened anxiety in the Akuapem areas that people will be beheaded as part of rituals towards the burial of the late Okuapehene, Oseadeyo Addo Danquah III.
Fear and panic had gripped most of the residents within the Akuapem Traditional Area over speculation that decapitations would be carried out during the funeral rites of the late chief in line with custom.
At a press briefing on Thursday January 28, 2016, the Municipal Chief Executive, George Opare Addo, and Nana Osim Kwatia II, Gyasehene and chief of Amanorkrom, assured the public that such a practice would never be executed.
“In view of the fear and panic…as a result of the general perception that people will be beheaded and the heads buried with the late chief, the Traditional Council has given the cock assurance that the practice will not be executed,” the MCE said.
Oseeadeyo Addo Danquah died late last year and his funeral will be observed from February 1 to 8, 2016.
As part of the decision to observe the funeral, the Traditional and Municipal Security Councils said firing of guns had been limited to 25 people identified by the councils and granted permit by the police.
According to them, the guns would not contain live bullets but rubber ones.
All drinking bars within the Traditional Area have also been directed to close by 11pm each day until after February 8, 2016.
According to the Gyaasehene, the members of the public, who will attend the funeral must strictly be in black or red, adding that those to file past the body must take off their sandals or footwear.
He warned that it was forbidden for anybody to take photographs of the body of the late chief as it lies in state.
Later in the day on Thursday, Antwi-Boasiako Sekyere, the outgoing Eastern Regional Minister, on behalf of the government donated GHS 60,000.00 to support the late Okuapehene’s funeral