As part of NPP agenda to prevent Ghanaians resident in neighbouring towns and villages just across the eastern border, GAF commenced deployment of troops in VR and OTI on 20 June 2020. The deployment will last until 22 Aug 2020.
According to reliable sources, at the final briefing prior to deployment, the General Officer Commanding Southern Command, Brig Gen Abraham NSIAH outlined the aims to include fol:
- Ensure safety and security along the Gh/Togo border.
- Conduct mobile, static and foot ptls along border to deter illegal crosses into Gh during the forthcoming EC voter registration Ex.
Total number of troops from 1 and 5 Infantry Battalions and 66 Arty Regt deployed so far (excluding other security agents who will join later) are 5 officers and 165 Other Ranks.
- VOLTA REGION
- Aflao – 1 officer and 15 ORs
*Akanu – 10 ORs
- Shia – 10 ORs
- Nyive – 1 officer and 15 ORs
- Honuta – 10 ORs
*Lekelebi Dafor – 10 ORs
*Wli Afegame – 1 officer and 15 ORs
*Likpe Baglo – 10 ORs
- OTI REGION
*Tinjase – 1 Officer and 15 ORs
- Nabu – 10 ORs
- Menusu – 1 officer and 15 ORs
*Menusu Pillar 38 – 10 ORs
*Kue – 10 ORs
*Dadease – 10 ORs
POINTS TO NOTE
- Ordinarily, this may be considered a normal military ops; but the aims and objectives for this particular one should be obvious.
- ALL 35 ORs selected from 66 ARTY REGT based in HO are AKANS led by a LT MENSAH