A group of sympatisers of the National Democratic Congress in the Ketu South municipality of the Volta Region have taken to the streets to protest the disqualification of two party members from the party’s November 7 primaries.
Albert Ziggah and Jim Morti were disqualified after certain discrepancies were found on their forms. It was found that Jim Morti for instance has not taken his mandatory National Service.
The protestors believe the two aspirants have been disqualified to make way for the incumbent Member of Parliament Fifi Kwetey to go unopposed.
One of the demonstrators told Joy News’ Ivy Setordzi they do not see the need for anyone to be disqualified.
He believes everyone should be allowed to contest adding “they cannot impose the incompetent Fifi Kwetey on us”.
“We want the NDC as a party to bring everybody on board. Since we voted him [Fifi Kwetey] into power we never see him again”, he said.
The NDC is preparing for its November 7 primaries. So far a total of 86 aspirants in the Volta Region have been cleared for the primaries.
A joint vetting committee made up of selected party executives from the Constituency, Regional and National levels and chaired by the NDC’s National Vice Chairman, Mr Samuel Ofosu Ampofo gave the aspirants the green light to run in the parliamentary primaries after a two day vetting exercise in the region.