Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia has inaugurated a new Prisons Council and charged them to ensure the proper management of the country’s jails as correctional facilities.
The 13-member council will be chaired by Most Rev Peter Paul Yelezuome, who was nominated by President Nana Akufo-Addo.
Dr Bawumia urged the members of the council to use their skills and competence to direct policy and implement systems that will improve the country’s prisons.
He further charged the council to put in measures to ease congestion at the prisons and additionally demanded an end to human rights abuses in the country’s correctional facilities.
Other members of the 7th Prisons Service Council include:
1. Ambrose Dery, Ministry of Interior
2. Patrick Darko Missah (DGP), Ghana Prisons Service
3. Dr Frank Ankobea, Ghana Medical Association
4. Kwasi Amoako Adjei, Ghana Bar Association
5. Yvonne Akakora Obuobia, Minister of Justice& Attorney General’s Department
6. Benjamin Akonu Otoo, Department of Social Welfare
7. Rev Dr Kwabena Opuni-Frimpong, Christian Council of Ghana
8. Samuel Akampare Akolbire, Senior Officers Rep.
9. Dorcas Bonnah, Subordinate Officers Rep.
10. Buipe–wara Mahama Abdulai Jinapor II, National House of Chiefs
11. Sarah M. Adetola, President’s nominee
12. Matilda Baffour-Awuah, President’s nominee