Aspiring national youth organiser of the NDC, Brogya Genfi has petitioned the party to review certain portions of the NDC constitution to allow some elected youth representatives to vote in regional conferences.
In a petition to the chairperson of the NDC Congress Constitution Review Committee, Marrieta Brew, the former Ashanti Regional Youth Organiser of the NDC wants article 19(4)(e) and 22(5) repealed.
He wants the amendment of Article 16(1)(j), to make Other Youth Representatives Deputy Constituency Youth Organizers.
Below is his petition;
NDC CONGRESS CONSTITUTIONAL REVIEW COMMITTEE
5th December, 2022
*MEMORANDUM TO REPEAL ARTICLES 19(4)(e) AND 22(5)(I) AND AMEND ARTICLE 16 (1)(j) OF THE NDC CONSTITUTION TO MAKE OTHER YOUTH REPRESENTATIVES, DEPUTY CONSTITUENCY YOUTH ORGANIZERS.*
ATTENTION: HON. MARIETTA BREW ESQ.
Article 19(4)(e) of the NDC Constitution states:
“The following shall attend and vote at the Regional Youth Conference:
(e) one representative from each constituency in the region elected at the Constituency Youth Conference at which the Constituency Youth Organiser and Deputy Constituency Youth Organiser were elected;”
Article 22(5)(I) provides that:
“The following shall attend and vote at the National Youth Conference to elect the National Youth Organiser and two Deputy National Youth Organisers:…….
(I) one (1) other person elected at the Constituency Youth Conference at which the Youth Organlser and Deputy Youth Organiser were elected.”
Also, Article 16(1)(j) provides that;
“There shall be a Constituency Executive Committee that consists of the following:
(J) “a Deputy Constituency Youth Organiser”
I propose for the consideration of the Constitutional Review Committee for the 2022 Congress, the repeal of Articles 19(4)(e) and 22(5)(I) of the NDC Constitution and an amendment of Article 16(1)(j), to make Other Youth Representatives Deputy Constituency Youth Organizers.
The rationale for this proposal is as follows:
* Other Youth Representatives buy nomination forms, fill same by getting proposers, seconders and endorsers from branches in their constituencies, file their nominations, go for vetting and campaign to be elected.
* It is instructive to note that Other Youth Representatives are elected by the same delegates to the Constituency Youth Conference that elect the Constituency Youth Organiser and the Deputy Constituency Youth Organiser.
* Sadly, the NDC Constitution in its current from does not capture Other Youth Representatives as Constituency Executive Members under Article 16. They are only used for elections and damped afterwards.
* It is my humble view that it is improper, unfair and unjust for the party to jettison Other Youth Representatives immediately after internal elections, only to Co-opt five (5) persons who never stood for elections as constituency executives. Respectfully, Other Youth Representatives can be more useful to the Youth Wings of our great party beyond elections.
* The fact of the election of Other Youth Representatives is evidence of the confidence reposed in them by the constituency youth wing. It is therefore my humble proposal that Other Youth Representatives be made Constituency Executives, specifically, Deputy Constituency Youth Organizers and captured accordingly under Article 16 of the party’s Constitution.
Humbly submitted for your kindest consideration.
COMRADE BROGYA GENFI
FORMER REGIONAL YOUTH ORGANISER, ASHANTI