Over 20 students of the Koforidua Secondary Technical School in the Eastern region are under strict monitoring by health authorities after one person died there, Friday last week.
Health authorities have confirmed the cause of death to be meningitis.
The student was said to have died shortly after complaining of fever and body pains. He was rushed to the hospital but died shortly.
The death comes in the wake of a similar incident at Kumasi Academy in the Ashanti region in which at least 11 students lost their lives through meningitis and swine flu this year.
JOYNEWS understands health officials have begun rolling out measures to avoid a spread of the disease.
Eastern Region correspondent Kofi Siaw said the deceased person was a second-year student.
He was sent to the Regional Hospital in Koforidua after complaining of feeling feverish and having body pains. He died shortly after.
Siaw said there is calm in the school with the students and teachers undertaking their normal activities.
A day after the death of the deceased person, health officials from the Regional Health Directorate were present in the school to counsel the students and undertake some cleanup campaigns.
According to the health Director, Dr Mrs Charity Sarfo they are closely monitoring at least 22 students who had close contact with the deceased person before he died.
There are fears the 22 may be going through an incubation period of bacterial meningitis so the health officials are keeping a close eye on them so they will not spread the disease to others even if they are infected already.
“These 22 students are being followed up to ensure that should they also develop any such symptoms they will be picked up and given the necessary treatment.
“Currently everything is calm in the school. We have given them all the necessary support. They know what to look out for. They have our contact numbers so that if something should happen we will be immediately contacted for the necessary support,” she said.
Unlike the case in Kumasi Academy, Kofi Siaw said there is no panic withdrawal of the students by their parents.