NPP DECIDES ON KENNEDY AGYAPONG
NPP DECIDES ON KENNEDY AGYAPONG
The National Executive Committee of the New Patriotic Party convened a meeting at the party headquarters today, to consider a petition brought to it by three card bearing members of the New Patriotic Party through the acting General Secretary John Boadu. The petitioners are: Madam Ursula Osei Bawuah from Manhyia South Constituency, Opanyin Peter Adjetey-Anann Foster from Odododiodio constituency , and Madam Gladys Ntiamoah from Abuakwa South Constituency
In their petition, the three complainants specified that , Honorable Member of Parliament for Assin Central constituency, Kennedy Ohene Agyapong has made certain “unfortunate and incongruous” remarks in the immediate past and a very recent one which has brought the New Patriotic Party’s name into public ridicule. Adding that, their actions is inspired by the Party’s constitution pursuant to Article 4 (clause 7 paragraph Vi).
At today’s sitting in the National Executive Committee, the following actions and decisions took place:
1. A prima facie was to be determined by the committee before it refers the petition to the National Disciplinary Committee for investigation as required by Article 4, clause 2 (paragraph c) of the party’s constitution.
2. The acting Chairman, Mr Freddie Blay in his remarks explained that, Hon Member of Parliament for Assin Central, Ken Agyapong, remarks at the Chairperson of the Electoral Commission, Madam Charlotte Osei is “not harmful” because, he listened to the tape and that, he was very much aware Mr Ken Agyapong did not go against any rule. He further explained that, Mr Ken Agyapong is the only ferocious member of NPP who has shown “remarkable temerity at matching the NDC boot for boot”. acting Chairman Freddie Blay suggested that the NDC has done worst and it was time a “gem” like Ken Agyapong be applauded for his show of brevity”. He concluded that, the petition in his conviction lacks merit.
3. The Running Mate of the Flagbearer of the New Patriotic Party, Alhaji Dr Mahamadu Bawumia explained that, Honorable Member of Parliament for the Assin Central constituency Kennedy Agyapong , “undoubtedly has a good number of followers at the grassroots who, he has influence on, within our party”. Dr Bawumia recalled how Nana Akufo-Addo reminded Ken Agyapong to tone down on his verbal abuses but was quick to add that, the NDC has set up a “poisonous” Muntie FM, always throwing “insults , mud , and horrible remarks” on the person of Nana Akufo-Addo and it was time for someone from the NPP to respond to them. Dr Mahamadu Bawumia who described Ken Agyapong as “indomitable” explained that, though Ken Agyapong has a good intent however, he would have wish Ken Agyapong is re-oriented on how to go about such moves. Dr Bawumia added that, listening to the tape, Ken Agyapong was communicating with party people and that his remarks on the Chairman of the Electoral Commission could be that, Mr Agyapong was “carried away by the euphoria” from the large crowd.
4. After series of discussions, it was agreed that members, vote on whether the decision to take disciplinary actions against Kennedy Agyapong be upheld or overruled.
5. The following is the records for voting.
a. Running mate Alhaji Dr Mahamadu Bawumia, acting Chairman Freddie Blay, acting General secretary John Boadu, National Youth Organizer Sammy Awuku, National Treasure Kwabena Abankwa Yeboah, Nasara Coordinator Kamal-Deen Abdullah, Deputy Minority Leader Dominic Nitiwul, Ashanti Regional Chairman, Volta Regional Chairman, Northern Regional Chairman, Upper East Regional Chairman, Upper West Regional Chairman, Central Regional Chairman and Western Regional Chairman all voted against the decision to take disciplinary actions against Honorable Member of Parliament for Assin Central, Ken Agyapong.
b. Minority Leader Osei Kyei Mensah-Bonsu and Greater Accra Regional Chairman Ishmael Ashittey, abstained from voting.
6. The acting Chairman Freddie Blay, after the voting count, read out the decision to the committee that , “the petition from the three members of the New Patriotic Party against Honorable Member of Parliament for Assin Central lacks merit and accordingly dismissed”. Acting Chairman Freddie Blay, concluded on the note that, some Elders of the party will be tasked to advise Mr Kennedy Agyapong.
acting General Secretary