Nduom’s ATV to be back on air by Monday
Management of ATV, one of the nine TV stations shutdown by the National Communications Authority (NCA) says the channel will be back on air by close of day on Friday or latest next week Monday. ATV which is owned by businessman and politician Dr. Papa Kwesi Ndoum was among eight others shutdown for breaching the guidelines for electronic communication.
Speaking to Citi News, Cooperate Affairs Manager for Group Ndoum Richard Keelson said they have met officials of NCA to address the matter. He said “it’s very unprofessional on the part of the NCA and we didn’t take it lightly at all. So we went there yesterday, they have apologized to us and asked us to do re-application. We’ve done that, the cost element has been paid, and hopefully by day or latest by early next week Monday or Tuesday we should be within the satellite domain again.”
Mr. Keelson explained that ATV is a platform that “has wonderful viewership, a good content and a platform that people watch globally because we are on satellite” adding that after they were taken off-air they have received a series of complaints from their viewers and advertisers. He also promised that the company will make up for the time lost to advertisers.
“…We’ve spoken to our advertisers, they’ve understood us and when we are back on air, we will make it up to them for the lost time,” he added. Stations shutdown operating illegally.
The NCA had argued that the nine stations OB TV, Kessben TV, Clive TV, ECN, Zoe TV, BTA, ATV, Care TV, and Elijah TV breached the guidelines under Section 2(4) of the Electronic Communications Act, 2008, Act 775 and used a third party satellite infrastructure provider to broadcast their programs via satellite.
In a statement, the NCA said the nine stations affected were notified last year and given a grace period to regularize their operations but failed to do so. “From time to time, the NCA conducts monitoring exercises and when any unauthorized services are detected, the appropriate enforcement measures are taken.
In this recent case, the stations were detected sometime last year and notice was sent to the third party provider and the satellite company. A number of engagements went on, including the grant of a grace period to ensure compliance,” the statement added.