Thee May 9th Zongo Cup Memorial Tournament ended on a high note in Kumasi, Ghana when Accra based Madina Ashley Botwe United beat Kumasi team Aboabo Number Two by 5 goals to 4 in a penalty shootout after a 2 – 2 draw.
The tournament was initiated and funded by Mr. Herbert Mensah, former Chairman of Asante Kotoko and current President of the Ghana Rugby Football Union (GRFU), as part of a series of Zongo Football Ghana tournaments played between Southern and Northern Sector teams.
The flagship tournament, the Zongo Football Ghana League, is played on a single round robin basis between eight teams in the Greater Accra Region and on a single round robin basis between eight teams in the Asante Region with a Champion-of-Champions match between the winners of each Sector at the end of the league.ghanapoliticsonline.com
A Zongo Football Ghana June 3d Community Shield is planned to take place in the week of 3 June in remembrance of the Accra flood victims.
The May 9th Zongo Cup was ininitaited by Mr. Mensah to specifically coincide with the annual “May 9th Remembered” activities as a tribute to the 127 young football fans who lost their lives on 9 May 2001 in the Accra Sports Stadium disaster.
According to Mr. Mensah the purpose of the Zongo Football Ghana (ZFG) initiative is to establish a practical framework for the organisation of and participation in the ZFG League, the June 3d Community Shield and the May 9th Zongo Cup.
This formalised relationship between ZFG and Zongo Football Clubs will also allow for the parties to:
1. Work together to raise the standards of football in the Zongo communities across Ghana;
2. Develop Ghana competitions and tournaments;
3. Raise the standards of coaches to regional, national and international levels;
4. Promote the finest holistic sport models for every Zongo football athlete in Ghana;
5. Promote the importance of Culture and Education at all football camps and competitions in Ghana; and
6. Utilise football as the catalyst to promote health, wellness and physical activity as a way of life for Zongo youth and Ghanaian youth.
The third place playoff between Alhaji Israel United (South) and Aboabo Number One (North) ended with Alhaji Israel United walking off with the laurels by beating Aboabo Number One 8 goals 7 in another penalty shootout.
In the final match played in Kumasi between Madina Ashley Botwe United (South) and Aboabo Number Two (North) the 2016 May 9th Zongo Super Cup the winner was determined when Madina Ashley Botwe United beat Aboabo Number Two with 5 goals to 4 in a penalty shootout after the match was drawn 2 all.