Gov’t commits GHC150k to fight Pneumococcal Meningitis
Government has set aside GHC150,000 to confront the deadly Pneumococcal Meningitis which has already claimed over 30 lives.
Thirty-two people have so far died of the disease over the last one month, with 90 more cases being handled in the Brong Ahafo, Ashanti and Northern regions.
Deputy health minister Victor Bampoe who addressed the media on the disease in Accra Monday said the government is hoping the amount and the training given the various health officials in the country will help stop the spread of the disease.
He however denied reports that there is an outbreak of the disease in the country. He said the situation will qualify for an outbreak only if 10 out of a population of 100,000 contract the disease.
According to him the ministry has directed the National Health Insurance Authority to expedite payment on Meningitis cases.
Meanwhile, health experts say the latest strain is more contagious and fatal than Cerebrospinal Meningitis.
The outbreak which started last year in the Tain District has also spread to Wenchi, Techiman, Bruohan, Kintampo, and Sene districts in the same region.
Pneumococcal Meningitis is a deadly disease in which there is swelling and irritation (inflammation) of the membranes covering the brain and spinal cord (meninges).
It is caused by viral or bacterial infection, and marked by intense headache and fever, sensitivity to light, and muscular rigidity.