Ghanaian man, 19, confirmed dead in Paris attacks
The family of a Ghanaian teenager reportedly killed in the Paris terrorist attacks has now confirmed the news.
The Ghana Embassy in France had stated in a statement that its attempt to probe the reported death of the 19-year-old Otis Nuako hit a snag.
Ghana’s foreign affairs ministry had earlier announced that no Ghanaian died in the deadly terrorist attacks.
But father of the deceased, Elder Ahenkan told a Ghanaian news website called ghanainfrance.com that he was informed of his son’s death on Sunday after he was hospitalised after the attacks, claimed by the Islamist extremists Isis.
“They called me on Sunday that he was in the hospital, we went to the hospital and I noticed he was in comma but eventually he died,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Ghanaian mission in France had earlier claimed in a statement that Nuako’s death is unrelated to the attacks.
Below are details of an earlier statement issued by the mission in France
Unconfirmed rumours within the Ghanaian Community and on Facebook over the past twenty-four (24) hours claim that a Ghanaian national whose name has been given as Otis NUAKO was a casualty of the November 13th terrorist attacks in Paris.
A member of the Ghanaian Community who gave his name as Baah sent a text message to the officer responsible for the Diaspora claiming that the said NUAKO, a 19-year old boy, was killed at the French national stadium (Stade de France) during the attacks. This information was circulated on Facebook and subsequently on the Ghana in France website.
On hearing the rumour the Mission immediately contacted the French Police who indicated that it has no record of any Ghanaian casualties or anybody with the said name on the list of the identified bodies. Reports in the French media indicate that only three (3) people died at the National Stadium where the said Ghanaian is alleged to have died.
They were the 2 suicide bombers and a Portuguese transport worker in the vicinity. Other members of the Ghanaian community have come forward to say that the young man was a delinquent and that his death is completely unrelated to the terrorist attack. All attempts to contact the family to verify the story have been in vain. The Consul will attempt to identify the area in which he is alleged to have died tomorrow and visit the local Police Station there.