Politics, News and More!|Tuesday, October 25, 2016
You are here: Home » Foreign » Ghana Embassy debunks claims of Ghanaian fatality in Paris attacks

Ghana Embassy debunks claims of Ghanaian fatality in Paris attacks 

The Ghana Embassy in France has debunked rumours on Social Media and in Ghana that a 19-year–old Ghanaian was a victim of the terrorist attack in Paris last Friday.

According to an update on the Embassy’s website on Wednesday, their investigations have shown that there is no record of any Ghanaian casualty in the bodies identified so far.

About 129 people were killed and 352 injured in a terror attack in Paris on Friday, November 13th.

The Government of Ghana had explained there were no Ghanaian victims in the attack. But some media outlets have been persisting in reporting that the terrorist attack claimed the life of a Ghanaian teenager.

A video has emerged on YouTube in which a man purported to be the father of the said 19-year-old boy said they had received the news of their son’s death on Sunday.

Mr. Ahenkan, speaking in Twi, said doctors had told him his son might have died during a stampede because he was around Stade De France before the bombing.

“He had been admitted at the hospital, so we did not hear from him…the Police came on Sunday to inform us about it,” Mr. Ahenkan said.

But the Ghana Embassy, France, has debunked this claim and says the man’s accounts are not coherent. Below is an update on the Embassy’s official website.

Unconfirmed rumours within the Ghanaian Community and on Facebook over the past twenty-four (24) hours claim that a Ghanaian national whose name has been given as Otis NUAKOwas a casualty of the November 13th terrorist attacks in Paris.

A member of the Ghanaian Community, who gave his name as Baah sent a text message to the officer responsible for the Diaspora claiming that the said NUAKO, a 19-year old boy, was killed at the French national stadium (Stade de France) during the attacks. This information was circulated on Facebook and subsequently on the Ghana in France website.

On hearing the rumour the Mission immediately contacted the French Police who indicated that it has no record of any Ghanaian casualties or anybody with the said name on the list of the identified bodies. Reports in the French media indicate that only three (3) people died at the National Stadium where the said Ghanaian is alleged to have died. They were the 2 suicide bombers and a Portuguese transport worker in the vicinity.

Other members of the Ghanaian community have come forward to say that the young man was a delinquent and that his death is completely unrelated to the terrorist attack. All attempts to contact the family to verify the story have been in vain. The Consul will attempt to identify the area in which he is alleged to have died tomorrow and visit the local Police Station there.

The Mission is in constant touch with the host authorities and will update its reports if there are further developments.

Related posts:

Add a Comment