Deputy General Secretary of the NDC, Koku Anyidoho has dropped hints of plans to sue Vice Presidential candidate of the NPP, Dr Mahamadu Bawumia next week.
Mr Anyidoho says he is clearly aware the Judiciary is on sabbatical leave but hopes the Chief Justice will empanel a team to sit on the case just us she did when MP for Abuakwa South, Samuel Atta Akyea and others tried to use the courts to subvert the 2008 election results.
The deputy NDC Chief Scribe has vowed to sue Dr Bawumia over the “fake” Togolese register of voters he used as evidence, to support his argument that there were some foreigners on Ghana’s electoral roll.
To the extent that that had not been done, Mr Anyidoho believes Dr Bawumia’s action constitutes a criminal offence under Section 251 of Act 29 of the Criminal Offences Act 1960, hence he intends filing a suit against the former Deputy Governor of the Bank of Ghana.
Koku Anyidoho who was speaking to Samuel Huntor, host of Accra based Montie FM’s political talk show, PAMPASO on Thursday said …“I am taking Bawumia to court. I am in deep consultation with my lawyers, they have advised me that Under the Criminal Offenses Act 1960, for deceiving a public officer, I should petition the Attorney General for the case to be re-opened for Bawumia to come and prove to the nation that the Togolese register he presented is not a fake document”
He added, ..”My lawyers are drafting a petition for me and hopefully by Monday I am going to petition the AG and I hope the Attorney General will act with speed. We know the Courts are on vacation, but my lawyers advised me that the Chief Justice has the power to empanel a vacation Judge. Because if the same Chief Justice was able to give Atta Akyea, a Judge on the first of January, 2009 to go and attempt to prevent the EC from declaring the 2008 results, she can do same in this regard”.
Mr Koky Anyidoho was optimistic that in the face of fairness and good judgment, he will also be given a Judge to quickly look into the issue as he put it ‘about Bawumia’s attempt to burn and destroy this nation through criminal act by providing a fake document to mislead a public officer’ in this case the Electoral Commission.
He expressed regret at what he described as complete waste of time on allegations of a bloated register and NHIS card bearers who are not Ghanaians yet the same NPP which jubilated when the Supreme Court directed for the deletion of such names, has turned round complaining its members stand being disenfranchised if the re-registration period is not extended.
In a related development, there are reports that some members of the opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP) are begging Mr Anyidoho to abort plans to sue NPP’s Vice-presidential nominee.
Dr Bawumia, is currently the lead campaign official on the ground as age is telling on the 72-year old Nana Akufo Addo.
Dr Bawumia has been silent for the past two weeks since pressure started mounting on him to produce the list of foreigners his team promised aside 76,000 alleged Togolese he presented last year, which was eventually found out to be false.