80 percent of civil servants corrupt – Yamin

Fighting corruption in the public sector institutions has yielded negative results due to the over emphasis on politicians as being the ones corrupt when in reality they are not, former Deputy Minister of Youth and Sports in the erstwhile National Democratic Congress (NDC), Hon. Joseph Yamin has opined.

“The real proportion of the corruption that we see in our system, 20% can be attributed to politicians. …the other 80% is shared among the civil servants who are the most corrupt and engaged in all the filthy underhand dealings”

“But we are only emphasising on politicians, that is the main issue we are not able to fight the canker” he pointed out to the host of Kumasi-based Ultimate FM’s morning Show Lamtam Papanko.

Hon. Joseph Yamin, former Deputy Ashanti Regional Minister, and former Deputy Coordinator in charge of operations for the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO), revealed that while in office, he once gave money to a worker to deposit in the Ministry’s accounts because of his tight schedule.

According to him, it took weeks before the person did that after he demanded depository receipt from the worker who earlier had told him the money has been deposited in the Ministry’s accounts.

“This is happening in the ministries. …the civil servants are also doing it and so when we are discussing issues of corruption we should not politicise it at all because the politicians are only a small fraction of those purported to be corrupt”, he explained

According to Hon. Joseph Yamin, the embattled Principal of Tepa Nursing and Midwifery Training College might have bribed directors and auditors to cover the rot in the institution if indeed a letter was written to the Health Ministry to investigate her activities.

To Top