329, 416 placed in senior high schools
The Computerised School Selection and Placement System (CSSPS) Secretariat has placed 329,416 out of the 439,222 candidates who wrote this year’s Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) in senior high schools (SHSs) and technical institutes (TIs) in the country.
The number which represents 75 per cent of the total number of candidates, comprised 184,474 males and 144,943 females.
According to the placement statistics made available to the Daily Graphic yesterday, 43 out of the 114 candidates who rewrote the BECE as private candidates were placed.
In addition, 1,352 out of the total of 2,025 re-entry candidates were also placed.
To check their schools, candidates would have to text their index numbers and the last two digits of the year of examination to 1060 on any mobile network, beginning from yesterday.
The outgoing National Coordinator of the CSSPS, Mr George Atta-Boateng, told the Daily Graphic that the remaining 109,806 candidates who wrote this year’s BECE who were yet to be placed would be placed next weekend, together with the remaining reentry candidates, as well as those who rewrote the BECE as private candidates.
“They will be placed next weekend. They will be given the opportunity to select the schools with vacancies they want to go to,” he said.
The placement exercise, he said, was a process, and added that there were many candidates who chose schools with few vacancies as well as few candidates choosing schools with many vacancies.
Mr Atta-Boateng noted that there were enough vacancies for all the candidates, and assured the unplaced candidates that they would be placed.
The Community Day Schools, he said, had also increased the number of vacancies available.
He said the placement delayed because of the cancellation of five papers during the BECE, which also delayed the marking of the scripts.
In the course of the examination, five papers: English Language 2, Religious and Moral Education 2, Integrated Science 2, Social Studies 2 and Mathematics 2 leaked, compelling the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) to cancel them for the candidates to rewrite those subjects.
The number of candidates who wrote the 2015 BECE represented an increase of 15,084 over last year’s figure of 422,946 final-year junior high school (JHS) students who registered for the examination.
Some 13,434 basic schools (public and private) took part in the examination which was written in 1,546 centres across the country.
Mr Atta-Boateng said after texting, candidates would have to wait till October 21, 2015 (about two weeks) to print their admission forms from the Internet for submission to their schools of choice after which they were expected to report for school on October 28, 2015.